Launch partner Prezzo to host solution in central London restaurant
- 90 per cent of restaurant owners want to see new technology improve the payments process in their business, while 67 per cent are in favour of an ‘invisible’ way to pay to improve service and customer satisfaction
- Six in ten (60 per cent) restaurant owners have seen customers leave without paying
- Barclaycard’s new solution, Dine & Dash, provides a simple way to address this long-standing challenge for restauranteurs, with easy-to-implement technology that can be rapidly rolled-out
Barclaycard has developed ‘Dine & Dash’, a new solution to bypass the traditional bill-paying process in restaurants, which will be unveiled with a consumer trial at high-street chain Prezzo. In a bid to make life easier for staff and customers alike, servers no longer need to deliver the tab or handle transactions at the table – guests can simply walk out after eating.
This innovation launches as the restaurant industry calls for technological solutions to continually improve the dining experience. New research from Barclaycard, a pioneer in innovations that make payments quicker and easier for both consumers and merchants, has found that 95 per cent of restauranteurs would prefer their staff to focus on delivering good service, rather than spending time on taking payment.
Restaurant owners are looking for innovations that will make settling-up easier for diners, especially as the research reveals six in ten (60 per cent) restauranteurs have seen customers leave without paying.
Against this backdrop, it’s not surprising that 90 per cent of restaurant owners are interested in seeing new technology improve ways to pay. In a challenging industry environment where eateries need to differentiate any way they can, two in three (67 per cent) also believe that paying ‘invisibly’ – through an app in which payment details are loaded once and used for repeat purchasing – rather than physically, would improve customer satisfaction. This is in line with evolving consumer expectations, as four in 10 diners (38 per cent) say they want to avoid waiting for the bill.
In response, Barclaycard has created Dine & Dash for restaurants. Implementation is simple, with no changes required to a restaurant’s existing ePoS system, and the payment process is automatic, requiring no action on the part of serving staff. It is an easy three-step process – “tap, eat and go”:
- Tap: Customers download the Dine & Dash app and input their payment details – then, upon arriving at the restaurant, tap the Dine & Dash totem on their table with their phone to ‘check-in’.
- Eat: They order as usual and enjoy their meal.
- Go: Diners then walk out once they have finished eating. The totem on the table will change colour to show successful payment. The app will allow customers to split the bill, add a tip, apply a discount, and receive a digital receipt.
Dine & Dash builds on the ‘invisible payments’ technology Barclaycard trialled in 2017 with Grab + Go. The pilot enabled employees to turn their mobile phones into pocket checkouts to scan and pay for goods in the Barclays’ staff restaurants.
Nick Kerigan, Managing Director of Future Payments at Barclaycard, said:
“Building on our experience in invisible payments, we wanted to use Dine & Dash to unlock a whole host of benefits for restauranteurs: from freeing staff up to focus on customer service to creating a better dining experience that increases loyalty to improving table turnover time – leading to higher revenues.
“In addition to helping restaurants respond to the latest consumer demands, this innovative solution is simple to implement and scale. We see this as a ‘win win’ for both diners and restaurants, and are excited to partner with Prezzo, helping them stay at the forefront of delivering the best customer experience in the industry.”
Dave Broom, IT Director at Prezzo, said:
“Finding better ways to serve our customers is at the top of the agenda for Prezzo. We believe we have found a unique opportunity with Barclaycard’s Dine & Dash solution as it makes payment simpler and quicker. We’re really looking forward to testing this exciting new technology in our restaurants.”
Dine & Dash is being trialled at the St Martins Lane Avenue Prezzo restaurant in Central London on 13 March. The public can sign up on a first-come, first-served basis here: https://tinyurl.com/dinedashevent.
– Ends –
Notes to editors
For more information please contact Linda Yang on 020 3555 5586 or SiyuanLinda.Yang@barclaycard.co.uk.
Merchant research of 300 restaurant owners was conducted with OnePoll and carried out between 07/10/2017 -28/11/2017. Consumer research was conducted with OnePoll, surveying 2,000 adults (18+) from 07/11/2017 – 23/11/2017 who have eaten at a restaurant in the last year.
How Dine & Dash works:
- Powered by a new Barclaycard app called ‘Dine & Dash’; users store their payment details once in the app.
- Each table in a Dine & Dash restaurant will have a small totem with colour-coded lights which consumers will use to ‘check in’ to their table, via the app. The totem will flash upon check-in, indicating to diners and wait staff that the table is using Dine & Dash
- Diners can leave when they have finished eating and based on proximity tracking, the Dine & Dash app will sense when they have departed from the restaurant. They will then be checked out, with payment automatically taken from their stored credentials and the totem will flash – and stay – green for an extended period of time to indicate the bill has been settled.
- Diners can also check out in the app where they will have the option to split the bill, add a tip and apply a discount code. No matter which method they use, all diners can see their bill total in real time and receive a digital receipt, so they can keep track of their spending.
Barclaycard, part of Barclays Bank PLC, is a leading global payment business that helps consumers, retailers and businesses to make and take payments flexibly, and to access short-term credit and point-of-sale finance. In 2016 we processed over £250bn in transactions globally. Barclaycard is a pioneer of new forms of payment and is at the forefront of developing viable contactless and mobile payment schemes for today and cutting-edge forms of payment for the future. We also partner with a wide range of organisations across the globe to offer their customers or members payment options and credit.
Follow us on Twitter @BarclaycardNews
With over 250 Italian restaurants across the UK, from city bustle to rural retreat, there’s a Prezzo for everyone. Because we know that the right surroundings can be just as important as the food, our cosy, contemporary restaurants set the scene for every occasion. Each is individually designed and decorated to complement its location: some have waterside views whilst others boast stunning modern architecture, all full of character and history that will bring a special touch to your meal.